I never knew this about myself until the past week or so....I become an entirely different person at night. I have always known that I am not a morning person, nor do I handle being awake without a certain number of hours of sleep well. My body does not respond well to lack of sleep and I usually end up sick at some point after prolonged sleep deprivation.
So I've discovered that not only do I feel horrible emotionally and physically without sleep, but I also turn in to a werewolf. Not physically...but I have the attitude of a werewolf in the middle of the night. No full moon needed. This is on a nightly basis it seems.
I find myself ashamed in the light of day at how outwardly frustrated I become with my sweet baby girl in the middle (or not so middle) of the night. I pray for relief of this attitude and have yet to experience it as I'm dealing with the mental and physical fight that comes with sleep deprivation. I wonder.....when it comes to matters of sleep, how long can one function on next to no sleep? So far, we are going on say 2 months, but REALLY little sleep for about a month.
I can't imagine how my husband feels. He has to get up and go to work while I stay home. He tells me over and over that what I do is work and I believe him, but somehow it feels different that he has to get up at 5:30, get dressed, drive to work, work all day and then drive home to a house that is not picked up, not cleaned, no dinner is fixed or even in the works. Bless his heart. I believe he will be rewarded in heaven for his patience and loving kindness.
Lesson I am learning from all this - other than the fact that my husband is basically a saint - I have yet to find out. I hope to look back and understand, but I also hope I forget how miserable my nights have been.
No comments:
Post a Comment