Thursday, April 11, 2013

How did we get here?

When baby girl was a newborn, I could not imagine how people went anywhere with their babies. Being able to go to the store or shopping or to events with my baby was the furthest thing from what I thought I was capable of doing.

I am here to tell you that it is possible to leave the house with a baby. It was Christmas time and I was depressed that I was unable to do Christmas shopping in the way I normally get to shop. I could not imagine having the ability to pack up the baby and all her belongings and go out for some Mommy-daughter shopping time. But a few months ago, I did it. Without thinking. I packed up the stroller and the baby and we went to the outlets. We nursed and changed diapers in the car and then walked the outlets. And it was lovely. It made me feel more human than I had felt in months.

If anyone had asked me in December if I would ever go shopping again, I would have answered no and probably teared up, scared I would be trapped in my house for the rest of my life...or at least until my baby was a year old plus.

I think it is all part of that adjustment period (however long that lasts) and I'm sure there will be many more adjustment periods along the way. I am thankful to have some flexibility in getting out. I am also happy to report that we go for walks regularly around the neighborhood.

I hope I can encourage new Moms that even though you don't feel like you can have some freedom from the confines of your houses (and even though you probably won't believe me when I say that I've been in your shoes), that you will find freedom as long as you are willing to go for it. Packing up the diaper bag and all the things you have to tote along with you when a baby is involved will become routine.

Happy exploring with your babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment