Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Expectations

I've been thinking about expectations. Parenthood so far has been very little like what I expected it to be. There are certainly things that I did expect such as feeling inadequate, questioning my decisions and feeling so overwhelmed by love for my baby. Then there are the things I expected that have not happened and the ones I did not expect that have come along.

I never fully understood how utterly helpless I would feel when my sweet girl had something wrong with her that I could not fix. I didn't expect to feel like I don't have enough time to clean my house or do a workout because I don't know how long this nap is going to last.

I expected that since I had taken care of myself during pregnancy that my body would bounce back. I didn't let myself go after all and I walked up until 39 or 40 weeks. I knew I would have to work at it, but I never expected that nothing I did would work. I know what you're thinking, well it takes 9 months to put it on so it should take that long to take it off. But I have been working at it and have not budged in at least a month, possibly 2! Ugh. BUT........

I have an amazing little girl who I sacrificed my body for. I would never take her back in order to have a smaller butt or thinner hips. She is much more worth it than my vanity.
{MAY I REALLY COME TO BELIEVE THIS!}

So what I will say about expectations is, while I have always had somewhat differing experiences from my expectations, being a Mother carries by far the most differences of expectations vs. realities. In the beginning of this journey I experienced such a shock entering the world of Motherhood that I could not fathom what any other stage would be like. And now, I am able to take my new reality and imagine other stages and my new expectations, which I hope are much more realistic are lovely. The future with my girl and possibly other child(ren) {God-willing} is so exciting and I am thrilled that my expectations of what being a Mother is like have been challenged.


1 comment: